BIRD PHOTOGRAPHY: KIT AND GEAR

Posted by Rupesh Kumar Karki
I keep on shooting different things, it is not necessary that I shoot only birds or animals or portraits or landscapes but I try to capture each and every thing that attracts me or something different than others. Mainly in India, photographers are not paid much attention but now they are gaining popularity in this field and a lot of newbie's are coming and showing their interest also.
I would like to list out essentials:

1. A greenery, peaceful , serene or a place in nature's lap.

2. A Tripod (depends on condition)

3. A good Telephoto lens

4. Patience with passion

A lot talked about topic is bird photography and I really mean that you need a lot of time and patience in order to capture a particular stance of bird in flight or sitting at a particular place. I am a service person and don't get that much of time, therefore what I do is that try to capture the birds in flight at my backyard as there is quite greenery and peaceful area and even we keep bird's feeder so birds keep on coming and then only I get a chance to snap a shot. Similarly, you don't need to go outside beautiful places you can look around your home only, it can be park or lawn or kitchen garden, a greenery and peaceful place so that you can harness your power of photography and even satisfy yourself by dedicating some time to your family also. It is a better choice if you could go outside in nature's lap with all your family and photography gears.

This topic is really interesting even for me because I don't hesitate to say that I do have a lens but it is 55-200mm which is capable of taking pictures of bird but not that far away birds or animals. The reason behind this is the cost of lenses, these telephoto lenses are very costly and not possible to purchase easily. If you can afford then you can look for 70-200mm f/2.8 or 150-600mm f/5-6.3 and if you wish to know it's price then you can look in internet there you will get the details of not only these two lenses but also some other lenses that you may find suitable. Well now you will think that when I don't have these lenses then how could I name these two only. The reason behind this is my study and lookup on photos taken with these lenses.  What I realised from my experience is if you have a good lens and an entry level camera, even then you can take great photos. Therefore, in my opinion you should go for good lenses then a best camera and a lot of practice and patience. Today I would like to share some photos taken with my entry level camera Nikon D5500 and 55-200mm lens. From these images you will also come to know what is the importance of lens and how you feel the absence of  gears at the time of shooting such scenes. This is the image taken with my camera and kit lens.
bird_on_branch
Sunbird captured with Nikon D5500 and 55-200mm lens
Actually, these telephoto lenses work just like binoculars, sitting at a far place you can take a snap of a bird or an animal. It is a very common thing as you go near to them they will fly away therefore, you need to be equipped with best telephoto lenses. Now when I take the picture of a bird at that time realize the  importance of good telephoto lenses any how I try to take snaps with my 55-200mm lens only. Soon that day will come when I will write about such telephoto lenses in my blog. This image is taken while sunbird on flight but noise is intentionaly kept high.
bird_in_flight
Sunbird captured with Nikon D5500 and 55-200mm lens
I will try to share my photos with you those which are good and those which are average and those which are worst. One has to critic of himself and then only you can grow in your life. Along with good lens you also need a tripod if you are taking pictures in an area  where you need to keep standing for hours in order to get the good shot of a bird or an animal. You can't keep holding the camera on hand for a long time therefore, you need a good tripod.
Truly speaking, I go for hunting birds with my camera either in park or lawn, there I don't use tripod; just go for shooting birds not with gun but with my camera. I love to capture them in photos rather than in cage. The below image really captivated my heart, here light also played a great role.
bird_in_flight
Sunbird captured with Nikon D5500 and 55-200mm lens
Lastly, when it comes to patience and passion then I think the later inspires you to keep patience and then only you get a golden chance to snap a shot which you can say proudly , that's it and inspires you to take a leap in your life also, as my below image.
blue_neck_bird
Sunbird captured with Nikon D5500 and 55-200mm lens
If you also have any collection of such photographs or your experience that you wants to share, you are most welcome and even if you are running some website or blog do mention it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment